What is the Union?

UAW Local 4123 is is the union representing Academic Student Employees – Teaching Assistants, Graduate Assistants, & Instructional Student Assistants – at the 23 campuses of the California State University. We negotiate a collective bargaining agreement (click here to read the contract) that sets out the pay and benefits, and the rights and protections for over 7,000 Academic Student Employees (ASE) that works at CSU. We are affiliated with the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW), one of the largest and most diverse unions in North America, with members in virtually every sector of the economy. The UAW is part of a growing movement to unionize among student workers and represents over 40,000 Academic Student Employees and Postdoctoral Researchers across the country.

Can international workers participate in the Union?

Yes you can! International scholars have the same rights as US citizens to join and participate in the Union. In many years of representing international student workers at CSU and elsewhere, no one has reported any complications in their status from unionizing. The UAW advocates for immigration reform and for international workers to be able to freely choose their employment and opposes employer control over the H1-B visa.

What if I have a problem at work?

If you have a concern, problem, or question about any aspect of your work, you are advised to contact the Union immediately before trying to resolve the issue so that you get the best possible advice and are sure to preserve your rights under a fair grievance procedure. You have 21 days to file a grievance once a violation of the contract has occurred. One of the Union’s primary functions is enforcing what we won in the contract, which means representing ASEs at all steps of the grievance procedure, including informal discussions. If anyone is treated unfairly, we work with them to remedy the situation and make sure their rights are being protected.

 How do I get involved?

Our strength as a Union comes from the active participation of our members. You can help talk to your co-workers about our benefits and rights with in our contract, speak to new employees at orientations, help enforce the contract on your campus, get involved in our various political programs, or simply come to our campus membership meetings to have your voice heard.  Contact us to find out how you can get involved in building a strong voice for our Union.

Are there other Academic Student Employee unions?

Yes, thousands of Academic Student Employees (ASEs) have unionized around the U.S. In addition to the CSU, the UAW represents ASEs, Postdoctoral Researchers, and Adjunct Faculty at other universities across the country.

UAW Local 2865 – University of California (Academic Student Employees)

UAW Local 5810 – University of California (Postdoctoral Researchers)

UAW Local 4121 – University of Washington (Academic Student Employees)

UAW Local 2110 – New York University (Academic Student Employees)

UAW Local 2322 – University of Massachusetts (Academic Student Employees and Postdoctoral Researchers)