SUMMER EMPLOYMENT FOR TAs
A matriculated graduate student may be appointed to summer term employment as a Teaching Associate separate from an academic year appointment, regardless of whether the graduate student is enrolled for the summer term.
The contract in its entirety applies to summer TAs, except as modified below:
- Appointments, Posting, Notification
All of Article 2, Appointments, Posting and Notification shall apply except 2.7 and 2.12. The following provisions will apply instead:
- Appointment Notification: Following the hiring decision, the employee will receive a written notice of appointment or reappointment in paper or electronic format (e.g. email or website) no less than thirty (30) days before the start of the appointment. In cases in which a position becomes available less than thirty (30) days before the commencement of the appointment, the aforementioned notice shall be provided as soon as practicable after the decision is made.
- Conditions of Appointment: The President may cancel classes based on budget or enrollment. If an appointment is cancelled or reduced based on budget or enrollment, the Teaching Associate shall be compensated on a pro-rata basis for any classes taught.
Those holidays in Article 12, Holidays, that fall during summer session shall be observed on the day and in the manner specified.
- Salary Rate
All of Article 18, Salary, shall apply.
Except on campuses with quarter system year-round operations (QSYRO), the basis for the appointment shall be the number of Weighted Teaching Units (WTU) assigned. The University will rely on existing practices in determining the number of WTU to be credited.
On campuses operating on the semester calendar, including CSU Stanislaus, compensation for Teaching Associates who held appointments as Teaching Associates during the immediately preceding academic year will be based on the salary during the immediately preceding academic year using the following formula:
Salary per WTU = annual full-time equivalent salary/30.
On campuses operating on a quarter calendar (other than QSYRO campuses), compensation for Teaching Associates who held appointments as Teaching Associates during the immediately preceding academic year will be based on the salary during the immediately preceding academic year using the following formula:
Salary per WTU = annual full-time equivalent salary/45
On campuses with quarter system year-round operations (QSYRO campuses), compensation for Teaching Associates who held appointments as Teaching Associates during the academic year, the summer quarter payment will be equal to one-third of the prior academic year salary for the equivalent time base.
An individual who did not have an appointment as a Teaching Associate in the prior academic year may be appointed at any salary within the appropriate summer classification and range.
For a 6 week summer session on a semester campus, an assignment of 6 WTU is equal to a 1.0 time base. This equation applies proportionally to summer sessions of different lengths.
Payments shall be made monthly until conclusion of the summer session in which the work occurred. The University will create a new salary classification to accommodate summer appointments.
All parts of Article 25, Workload, except 25.5a and 25.5b shall apply to all summer TAs. The following language will apply instead:
- A Teaching Associate with a 50% time-base appointment shall normally be assigned a workload of no more than 120 hours per 6 week session. This shall apply proportionally to other time-base appointments and to summer sessions of different lengths.
- A Teaching Associate with an appointment of 50% time-base or less shall normally be assigned a workload of no more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours in any one week. The number of hours worked in excess of 20 hours per week shall not normally total more than 27 hours per 6 week session.